One of the most famous monuments of Turkish and Islamic art, Blue Mosque, is the only mosque that was originally built with six minarets. It’s located in one of the oldest settlements of Istanbul and therefore surrounded by many other outstanding historical structures. The mosque can be viewed from many different spots. Its real name is Sultan Ahmet Mosque.
The Mosque was decorated by the Architect Mehmet Aga fastidiously. Built between 1609- 1616, the mosque used to be part of a large complex, including a covered bazaar, Turkish baths, public kitchens, a hospital, schools, a caravanserai, and the mausoleum of Sultan Ahmet. Most of these social and cultural buildings have not survived to our day. The main entrance to Sultan Ahmet Mosque is on the side where the historical Byzantine hippodrome is located. Single-domed mausoleum of Sultan Ahmet and the medrese (religious school) building are situated to the North in the inner courtyard surrounded by the outer courtyard and the edifice itself is located on an elevated platform. There are three entrances to the mosque interior. The wealthy and colorful vista inside created by the paintings, tiles and stained glass complements the exterior view. The small market building, repaired and reconstructed in recent years, is situated to the east of the mosque, on the Hagia Sophia side. The mosque is open to prayers and therefore visiting is not allowed during the regular prayers of the Muslims which is five times a day.